Sunday, June 24, 2007

Iyengar Yoga

I first heard of the Iyengar method of yoga from Frank Lipman, M.D. He is the founder & director of the "Eleven Eleven Wellness Center" in NYC, where he practices Integrative Medicine & is the author of TOTAL RENEWAL: 7 KEY STEPS TO RESILIENCE, VITALITY & LONG-TERM HEALTH. Frank told me that he prefers the Iyengar method for many reasons, some of which are stringent certification requirements & in his medical opinion, least likelihood of injury. In my first visit Frank actually put me in a pose that felt so good & provided such release that I cried. That was several years ago. I couldn't find an Iyengar teacher where we live in the country, because it's a less common form of yoga.

Meantime I tried yet another yoga class, which was another style of hatha yoga. Although the teacher & students were truly lovely people, I had a lot of trouble with it. It got to the point where I dreaded going & eventually quit. I felt like a looser for not being into yoga. So many people, including my chirpractor, had told me it would be good for me. It made sense that yoga would be very helpful, but I had never been able to take to yoga in my various attempts throughout the years.

OK, so here's a 6 degrees from separation story. Down the street from my office in NYC, at the corner of 98th St. & Broadway, there's a couple, Nancy & Maurice, who are jewelry vendors. Of course when I go out for lunch I can't pass by their jewelry table w/ out stopping & perusing their wares. They're very warm, open people. With more visits, over time we get to know one another better & better.

Somehow I end up mentioning that I used to live on the Upper West Side, but now live in NW New Jersey. They ask me where, & because few people have heard of where I live, I give my usual general description "Sussex County, NY borders to the north & PA borders to the west". They say "Oh really, where?". This goes back & forth a few times, until I finally tell them exactly where I live. It turns out that Nancy's family has a house in my lake community, where she spent her summers growing up. And some of her family still lives not far from me. In fact her brother-in-law is the president of our lake association.

Months later I find out that Nancy's a serious student of Iyengar yoga, & has been to India a few times. Months later I discover that she's becoming certified in Iyengar. And months after that I learn that her teacher's encouraging her to start offering her own classes. And guess what she's doing now? Offering Iyengar yoga classes at our clubhouse, directly across the lake from our house!

I never thought I'd be saying this, but now I love Yoga! One of the great things about Iyengar yoga is that every pose is done w/ support. For example, many poses traditionally done standing, are done on the floor. And lots of props are used. What I'm finding is that w/ the given support, I'm finally, after all these years, able to release! Yes, that's right, RELEASE! Interestingly enough, it perfectly coincides w/ what I've learnded in Somatic Experiencing. By supporting ones'self through Resourcing, I'm then able to discharge activated energy from the nervous system. And it also coincides w/ "Restoring Connection". By providing a warm, welcoming Presence & compassionately being with all that is, shifts occur.

Nancy Preston teaches in NYC & will give you an on location private session for the more than reasonable price of $65. Ph. 917-596-0447 e-mail: npreston1@nyc.rr.com

No comments: